What is Skip Tracing?
Skip tracing is the process of locating a person’s whereabouts for debt collection or a number of other purposes. Skip tracing is performed by collecting as much information as possible about a subject (SmithInvestigationAgency). Skip tracing tactics may be employed by a debt collector or collection agency.
A skip tracer is a person who performs the task of locating another person’s whereabouts. The term “skip” refers to the person being searched for and is derived from the expression “to skip town.”
How Does Skip Tracing Work?
1) The process of skip tracing begins when a skip tracer collects as much information about a person as possible (BountyHunteredu). The data collected is either public knowledge or received via a search warrant. This information includes:
- Detailed credit reports
- Job application information
- Criminal background checks
- Utility bills
- Driver’s license
- Social security information
- Public tax information
2) After collection, the information is analyzed, reduced, and verified. Because the information comes from a variety of sources and includes data from different lengths of time, it must be clarified for accuracy (Wikipedia).
3) Once all of the information has been verified, it is given to the debt collector.